A Ham Salad recipe is a delicious and simple to make dish that can be used as a spread for sandwiches or on top of crackers. Also known to some as ham spread, it’s typically a creamy mixture of chopped ham and mayonnaise.
Old fashioned ham salad history
Ham salad originated in the 1920s when people would make it for their own sandwiches at home. Vintage ham salad recipes popular and were originally used as an economical way to use leftover ham from holiday meals.
What’s in ham spread?
One of the best things about this tasty recipt is that it’s typically made with ingredients you already have in your pantry or fridge like mayonnaise, celery, onion, pickles, and hard boiled eggs. The inexpensive ingredients keep costs down while still giving you a great taste!
You can purchase pre-made versions in stores, but nothing beats the taste of making it at home! We’ll cover how to make ham salad from scratch, how long it will last in the fridge and if you can freeze it.
How to make ham salad from scratch:
- Fully cooked ham: chopped into small pieces using a food processor
- Boiled eggs: peeled and coarsely chopped
- Seasonings: celery salt, onion powder, dry mustard
- Pickle relish: I use sweet pickle relish for this recipe, but you can use dill pickle relish if you prefer something more tangy.
- Mayonnaise: Any version of mayo will work, but remember that if you use Miracle Whip it’s sweeter and affects the taste of the recipe.
How long does it last in the fridge?
It can be stored in the fridge for a week in an airtight container.
Can it be frozen?
No, you cannot freeze ham salad. Unfortunately the consistency doesn’t do well freezing, then defrosting it. It’s best served after letting the salad chill overnight.
How long does it take to make?
Ham salad is a dish that you can make in just minutes! It takes only five minutes of prep time from start to finish to get the dish ready for your family or guests.
What are some other ideas for ham salads?
Some of my favorite ways to use this recipe is on sandwiches, on bagels, in lettuce wraps, or with a side of Triscuit crackers as an appetizer! There’s so many different ways to serve the dish- I hope that these ideas will inspire you to create your own recipes!
How much do I need for a larger crowd?
You can make as little or as much of this recipe you want to suit the number of people eating it. One pound easily serves under ten guests, but you might need closer to two pounds if you’re expecting more than ten guests.
Is this healthy?
Ham salad is a versatile dish, and it can be healthy if you want to make it that way. For example, you could use lean ham instead of regular ham for less saturated fat or low-fat mayonnaise in place of the full-fat version. You might also serve it with some fresh vegetables like carrots or cucumbers instead of as an appetizer with crackers or on bread as a sandwich.
When you’re looking for a dish for a potluck or a party, it’s important to have some dishes that are easy and quick to throw together. This ham salad recipe is the perfect choice! It can be made ahead of time which is always a plus.
We hope our family-friendly ham salad recipe will be something new at your next gathering with friends! Make sure you save the recipe by clicking below so you can try making it later yourself!
Other appetizer recipes to try:
- Cold Spinach Dip
- Bologna Salad – Recipe from the Country Cook
- Vidalia Onion Dip
- Salmon Cream Cheese Dip
- 3 cups fully cooked ham
- 2 boiled eggs peeled and coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Chop ham in a food processor until chopped until small, even pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, mix all ingredients together until incorporated.
- For best results chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Serve with assorted crackers, vegetable dippers, or on toast.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.