This Pineapple chicken salad recipe is one of the best ways to use cooked chicken. The fresh pineapple flavor paired with the cilantro and pecans makes this one of my favorite chicken recipes to make. It’s also a great way to use up leftover chicken!
Chicken salads are a great way to use simple salad ingredients to create an out-of-this-world taste. This wonderful recipe is fast, simple, and full of refreshing flavors. Be sure to check out my Tuna Pasta Salad as well as my Summer Garden Pasta Salad as well!
Why this recipe works
When it comes to salad recipes, forget about traditional chicken salad. It’s time to make this Hawaiian chicken salad and take the flavors over the top.
The best part about this chicken pineapple salad is that it’s great to enjoy with bread, croissant, or lettuce wraps, too. The versatility of this chicken mixture means that everyone can enjoy it however they’d like!
It’s a great recipe for dinner time and one that the whole family can enjoy. The little crunch of the nuts makes me a huge fan! If you’re looking for great recipes for a quick lunch, this chicken salad with pineapple is the best!
- Cooked Chicken – Rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken. is my suggestion. It’s best not to use canned chicken for best results. You can also cook up chicken breast and use that as well.
- Celery – The crunch of the celery is a great texture for this salad recipe.
- Pineapple – I like to use pineapple chunks or crushed pineapple as well.
- Cilantro – Fresh cilantro is a must for salad ingredients.
- Pecans – This recipe calls for pecans, but you can also use sliced almonds.
- Dijon mustard – This is delicious with the rest of the flavors.
- Mayonnaise – Adding mayo gives the salad recipe a delicious flavor and texture.
- Lemon – Just a little bit of lemon juice is my personal preference.
- Red onion – Slicing up a red onion adds a subtle sweetness.
- Honey – Adding honey is the perfect natural sweetness.
- Plain yogurt – I like to use Greek yogurt for the added protein boost.
Step-by-Step by Directions
Step One – Mix the chicken, pineapple, pecans, red onion, celery, and cilantro in a bowl.
Step Two – In a different bowl, mix the mayo, yogurt, mustard, honey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Combine with a whisk.
Step Three – Once mixed, pour over the top of the chicken mixture and stir.
Step Four – Place the chicken mixture into the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
How to serve:
- This recipe can be served as a chicken salad sandwich, as a dip with crackers, or even enjoyed with a spoon.
- With a prep time this quick, enjoy every bite however you’d like! If you want to add more pineapple or salt and pepper to your chicken salad, go for it! I’m all for everyone adding their own salad dressing or enhancing flavors however they’d like.
Canned pineapple is the star of the show typically, but change it up! You can easily mix in some dried cranberries, mandarin oranges, or sliced red grapes as well. While you’re changing up the fruits, you can also change up some other ingredients as well. Add sliced almonds, chop and add macadamia nuts, or even add some water chestnuts as well.
If you have leftovers, just store them in a small bowl or airtight container. Store the salad recipe in the fridge and keep it chilled. For best results, eat this delicious recipe within 2-3 days.
It’s common for delicious recipes to have multiple names, and this chicken salad recipe is no different. It’s also known as Hawaiian chicken salad because of the pineapple flavors and taste.
This salad recipe can easily be enjoyed as is, but the flavor of the pineapple would pair well with rice or even a quinoa recipe.
Pineapple Chicken Salad
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken coarsely chopped (rotisserie or leftover, not canned)
- 1/2 cup pineapple tidbits well drained
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 Tbsp. finely diced red onion
- 2 Tbsp. finely minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. plain yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. lemon juice from a fresh lemon, NOT squeeze bottle lemon juice.
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl mix together the chicken, pineapple, pecans, celery, red onion, and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt, honey, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Pour this mixture over the chicken saladand stir gently unitl combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, we like this cold, so we make an hour ahead of time.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you have leftovers, just store them in a small bowl or airtight container. Store the salad recipe in the fridge and keep it chilled. For best results, eat this delicious recipe within 2-3 days.
- Canned pineapple is the star of the show typically, but change it up! You can easily mix in some dried cranberries, mandarin oranges, or sliced red grapes as well. While you’re changing up the fruits, you can also change up some other ingredients as well. Add sliced almonds, chop and add macadamia nuts, or even add some water chestnuts as well.
- This salad recipe can easily be enjoyed as is, but the flavor of the pineapple would pair well with rice or even a quinoa recipe.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
Rick Poisson says
Retro Potluck says