Sour cream lemon pie is one of the best pies ever! The lemon layer on the bottom and the sour cream layer on top make for a perfect combination.
If you ever had sour cream lemon pie you know how good it is!! I’ve never been a meringue fan myself, but every other lemon dessert I will eat! This recipe is similar to Marie Callender’s Pie. I used the lemon filling recipe from allrecipes, it is really easy to make if you prep everything before starting it on the stove-top.
The sour cream layer took some work for me to figure out. I wasted more sour cream than I want to admit trying to get the sour cream layer the right consistency. I finally gave up and messaged a friend who I know has made it before, thank you to him!
If you don’t have a Marie Callender’s near you anymore, you now can make this pie. I hope to someday make the other pies, sour cream raisin, apple and blueberry.
4 more pie recipes to try next
Sour Cream Lemon Pie
- 1 9 inch frozen pie crust (I use Marie Callender’s)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. water
- 2 large lemons
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. corn starch
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter (wait to add)
- 4 large egg yolks (wait to add)
Sour cream layer
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- Thaw your pie crust for 10 minutes on the counter. Whisk together the egg and tsp. of water. Using a pastry brush spread the egg wash over the pie crust. Prick the pie crust with a fork generously, even on the edges. Bake according to package directions. Mine took 12 minutes.
- Zest the lemons. Cut the lemons in half and juice them, discard seeds.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl, set aside. Have your butter out and ready as well.
- In a medium sized sauce pan add the water, sugar, salt, lemon zest, lemon juice, flour and cornstarch, whisk together. Set the heat to medium high heat. Bring this mixture to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Add the butter to the lemon mixture, stir and let melt in. Add a scoop of this hot mixture to the egg yolks bowl, stir them together. Add this egg yolk mixture to the rest of the lemon filling. Stir. Let boil for 1 more minute, whisking constantly.
- Pour the lemon filling in to the prepared and baked pie crust. Refrigerate for an hour or longer.
Sour Cream Layer:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix together the sour cream and sugar. Spread this mixture over the lemon layer.
- Bake for 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before making and topping with whipped cream in next step.
- In a large bowl add the heavy cream and sugar. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer with whisk attachment, blend until stiff peaks form.
- I used a 16 inch piping bag and a wilton 1M piping tip to decorate the pie with the whipped cream. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.