Planning a party or fun night with friends? This recipe for sourdough cheese bread is the perfect savory pull apart bread recipe for any gathering. It has poppy seeds sprinkled on top of the bread, which adds a unique flavor and beautiful color to this traditional Italian loaf.
This bread goes great with any dinner, but we think it tastes best when there are some leftovers from the night before. Just don’t expect your dinner or party guests to leave any of this gooey stuffed cheesey bread behind!
Why this works
This sourdough cheese bread tastes great with soup, salad or pasta when it’s fresh out of the oven. It’s best served warm and gooey, straight out of the oven.
This poppy party bread recipe works well for any occasion and looks impressive. Plate it on a beautiful wood platter or cloth napkin lined basket for a gorgeous presentation at your next party, girls’ night, wine tasting party, or informal gathering. It makes an amazing appetizer that tastes great with wine!
What is party cheese bread?
Party cheese bread is sourdough pull-apart bread stuffed with cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan.
What cheese is good with sourdough bread?
Sourdough bread is traditionally made with sour milk, which gives it that signature sour flavor. The sourness of the yeast in sourdough makes this a delicious but strong flavored dough perfect for special occasions like parties and holidays.
The best cheese to use when baking sourdough bread is cheddar or Parmesan! You can always add other types of cheeses if you want to switch things up too – mozzarella and Swiss go great with sourdough flavors as well!
How to make poppy party cheese bread
- Sourdough bread – usually found in your local grocery store’s bakery section
- Monterey jack cheese
- Butter, melted
- Poppy seeds
- Green onions
Step One – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Without cutting the bottom crust, make vertical and horizontal slices about 1 inch apart. The key to making this party bread is making sure you don’t cut all the way through the loaf. Stopping short of the bottom of the loaf keeps all the good stuff where it’s supposed to be when pieces are pulled apart.
Step Two – Stuff in the shredded mozzarella.
Step Three – Add the melted butter, poppy seeds, and onions together.
Step Four – Spoon the butter mixture over the top of the loaf.
Step Five– Transfer the loaf to foil and wrap it around the loaf completely.
Step Six – Place the wrapped loaf in a baking pan and bake for 15 minutes.
Step Seven – Remove the loaf and open up the foil, folding it away from the bread. Bake the loaf for another 10 minutes.
Party bread appetizer variations
- Stuff sourdough bread with a garlic pesto mixture and mozzarella cheese
- Add cinnamon to the butter and stuff the bread with caramelized, cooked apples
- Make it a sour cherry or cranberry cheese loaf by adding sour cherries or cranberries to the dough
- Stuff sourdough with pepperoni and mozzarella
I hope you love this poppy party bread recipe as much as we do! It’s always the highlight of the night with multiple people asking for the recipe when we serve it, so make sure and print out a couple of copies of the recipe below too. Happy baking!
Poppy Party Bread
- 1 loaf or ball of sourdough bread – commonly found in local grocery store bakery section
- 1/2 lb. shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3/4 cup salted melted butter
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds
- 2 sprigs chopped green onions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Without cutting the bottom crust, make vertical and horizontal slices about 1 inch apart.
- Stuff the cheese into each slice.
- Whisk the poppy seeds and onions into the butter.
- Spoon the butter mixture over the top of the loaf.
- Transfer the loaf onto aluminum foil and wrap it completely.
- Place the wrapped loaf in a baking pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the loaf and open up the foil, folding it away from the bread. Bake the loaf for another 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with plenty of napkins!
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.